10 questions parents ask NDCS about audiology services

Vicki Kirwin Development Manager (Audiology & Health)

Vicki Kirwin, Development Manager (Audiology and Health)

1)    How often should my child be seen by an audiologist?

When children are very young or have complex needs appointments may be as frequently as every three months. As children get older the number of visits will gradually decrease until school age when they should be seen at least once a year. Children who wear hearing aids should be offered regular routine appointments so that their hearing and ears can be checked, hearing aids adjusted if necessary and their progress with the hearing aids monitored.

2)    Help! My child’s hearing aid isn’t working. What can I do?

It might be something very simple that you can fix yourself. Grab your child’s hearing aid care kit and watch this video to help you find the problem. If it still isn’t working contact your child’s audiologist as soon as possible. Faulty hearing aids should be replaced within two days of you notifying audiology of a problem.

3)    Arghhhhh, this whistling is driving me mad! What can I do?

The most common reason for whistling in children’s hearing aids is because they have started to grow out of their earmoulds allowing sound to escape through the gap around the edges of the mould. When this happens children need to have impressions taken for new earmoulds. This video also gives some suggestions on managing feedback.

4)    Can my child choose the colour of their hearing aids?

Yes! NHS hearing aids are available in a range of hair colours that can be used with clear earmoulds to blend in as much as possible or in a range of bright colours to match their favourite colour. Earmoulds are also available in clear with glitter or with pictures or logos inside them. You can also decorate your child’s hearing aids .

5)    I’ve run out of batteries, what should I do?

The NHS will provide a supply of batteries free of charge for your child’s hearing aids or cochlear implant. You may also be able to get replacement batteries from your local health centre or GP surgery, Teacher of the Deaf, or audiology clinic. In an emergency it is possible to purchase batteries for hearing aids from most high street chemists and hearing aid dispensers.

6)    My child has lost their hearing aids, will I have to pay for them?

The NHS provides all hearing aid equipment on a permanent loan basis and it always remains the property of the NHS. The NHS may charge people for the loss or breakage of hearing aids but there are guidelines they have to follow and some people are exempt from charges. For more information on possible charges and insuring NHS equipment either download the NDCS policy on lost hearing equipment and insurance or contact us.

7)    Can I get help with travel costs to the hospital?

You may be entitled to help with your travel costs through the ‘Healthcare Travel Cost Scheme’ (HTCS) if you are under the care of a consultant and receive either Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, are named on a NHS tax exemption certificate or qualify under the NHS low-income scheme. Further information is available here.

8)    When will my child transfer to the adult audiology service?

Some services specify an age to transfer, usually between 16 and 21. Your family should be involved in the decision on when the right time is for them to transfer. You should be offered an appointment with the adult service before the paediatric service discharges you from their care so that you have time to ask any questions or raise any concerns beforehand. Information for young people about moving on to adult services can be found on The Buzz website.

9)    Can I give my opinions or get involved in service improvement?

Yes. All hospital departments have a suggestion box and audiology services will also routinely ask for feedback to find out if their service users are happy with the service provided. Some services also arrange events for children and young people to ask their opinions face-to-face. Most services have a local Children’s Hearing Service Working Group (CHSWG) or similar group and you can get involved in this to give your opinions on the service

10) What can I do if I am unhappy with my audiology service?

The first step should be to speak to your Lead Clinician, Keyworker or the Head of Service and explain your concerns to them. If your concern is a general one or you have suggestions for ways to improve the service provided you could also contact your local Children’s Hearing Service Working Group (CHSWG).

If you want to make a complaint you can contact the hospital PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) who can discuss the situation with the department for you. Every Hospital Trust has a complaints procedure that is available in waiting areas, from their website or you can request it from them directly. Trusts are obliged to reply to you in writing within a specified time. For information on the NHS complaints procedure click here.

You can read more about what you can expect from your child’s audiology service here.

If you have concerns or are having difficulties accessing your audiology service, contact our Freephone Helpline on 0808 800 8880 or email them at helpline@ndcs.org.uk

3 thoughts on “10 questions parents ask NDCS about audiology services

  1. Pingback: We’re launching our new audiology survey | NDCS Campaigns blog

  2. Pingback: 19 things I’ve learnt from working at NDCS | NDCS Campaigns blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s